Get to know our newest Cincinnati structural engineer, Jamil.
1. Where are you from?
I’m originally from upstate New York and was living in Austin, Texas before joining Schaefer’s Cincinnati office. My parents and sister still live in Austin.
2. If you could design a structure anywhere in the world, where would it be?
Singapore because of the amazing contemporary architecture which is cropping up all over the city.
3. Fun fact about yourself.
I have lived in every time zone except Pacific. Some of my hometowns have been Ithaca, New York, Salt Lake Lake City, Utah and, most recently, Austin, Texas.
4. What would you sing at karaoke?
“Summer Madness” by Kool and the Gang – I don’t even need a prompter for the lyrics because it’s an instrumental.
5. Favorite thing to do off the clock.
You can find me at stand-up comedy shows when I’m not in the office. Who doesn’t love to laugh?
6. Who is your biggest inspiration and why?
Louie CK is for his raw and truthful view of the world.
7. If you weren’t in this profession, what would you be?
Software developer because I believe that phone apps are still in their infancy with regards to how much impact they will have on the world.
8. What would you do with $1 million?
I would invest half of it in low risk mutual funds and then take the other half over to my friend who works in securities.
9. Most prized possession/what you couldn’t live without (outside of family and friends).
10. Favorite sports and teams.
I’m an avid fan of University of Kentucky basketball and University of Texas football.