Steve Schaefer, PE
University of Cincinnati
- Master of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science, Civil Engineering
- Founded Schaefer in 1976 as Steven Schaefer and Associates
- Honored with the Distinguished Alumnus Award from University of Cincinnati’s College of Engineering
- Member of Council of American Structural Engineers, Structural Engineers Association of Ohio, American Council of Engineering Companies and Structural Engineering Institute
What has been your most surprising experience on the job?
While I never had a goal for employee growth, I have always hated turning away good clients. As more projects rolled in, I hired more engineers, modelers and administrative staff to meet the demand. I didn’t start this company planning to have over sixty-five employees in three offices; the success of the company has been a great surprise. I was especially satisfied with what we had accomplished when we were ranked the second best structural engineering firm to work for in the country.
Building stronger communities:
What has been your favorite project and why?
Early in my career I designed a tied-back wall system to underpin the foundation of an adjacent building for the excavation of the 580 Building in downtown Cincinnati, Ohio. As I recall, the excavation went 22 ft below the footings of the adjacent 10 story building. This was the first time this method was used to underpin a major building in the United States. I shared my experience by presenting on the project at an American Society of Civil Engineers regional conference.