Mike Merz, PE
University of Cincinnati
- Master of Engineering, Structural Engineering
- Bachelor of Science, Civil Engineering
- Author of Schaefer and March Madness – A Likely Pairing
- Design Strengths in Entertainment & Parking Markets
- Mentor to New Schaefer Structural Engineers
- Joined Schaefer as a Co-op Student in 2006
Why are you glad you work for Schaefer?
I enjoy being challenged with unique projects at Schaefer. I’m part of a great group that delivers efficient projects and meets owner needs. I’ve always enjoyed Cincinnati and the tight-knit community feel. I’m lucky to live in a great environment and have the ability to do work that I enjoy.
Building stronger communities:
What has been your favorite project?
I’ve worked on many temporary structures. I’ve designed stage structures for top names in music like Taylor Swift and Elton John, and kept athletes safe on X-Games and Tough Mudder structures. Of the different temporary events I’ve been involved with, my favorite was The Passion, a live performance televised on Fox. The event combined several temporary structures that had to be completed on a tight schedule. On a required site visit to review the installation, I caught the rehearsal and then watched the live televised version from home.